In the age of online shopping, most of us will have made at least one purchase from the retail giant, Amazon. If you find yourself making regular purchases, then you may well have signed up to Amazon Prime – a paid subscription service giving users access to free one-day delivery, among other benefits. Depending on where you live, you may even have access to same-day delivery. What could be more convenient than that?
In general, Amazon Prime is a reliable service, but there are occasions where delivery is late. For example, this can happen in the run-up to Christmas, where demand is even greater than usual. In this article, we take a closer look at what you should do if your Amazon delivery doesn’t arrive on time.
What do you get with Amazon Prime?
Here’s a quick reminder of some of the perks an Amazon Prime subscription gives you in terms of delivery services.
- You’re eligible for one-day delivery with no delivery charge – so if you place your order with one-day delivery, if it’s in stock it’ll be sent or shipped out the same day as your order and delivered the next day (depending on the time of day you make the order).
- Certain postcodes are eligible for same-day delivery – so if you order before noon, your package could arrive by the end of the day. This is available seven days a week, at no extra cost to Amazon Prime members.
Check your tracking details
If you’ve been expecting a package but it hasn’t arrived, then your first port of call is the check the tracking information.
After an order is dispatched, most packages will be trackable via Amazon. All you need to do is head over to the ‘Order Details’ section of your account and you should be able to see tracking details, expected arrival time and other useful information.
Just remember – if you’ve got multiple items, then it’s possible that they will have different delivery dates and separate tracking information. Some items won’t be trackable – such as standard international deliveries. It also depends where your order is coming from, so check the supplier’s location before you buy. If you buy goods from China or the USA, expect them to take considerably longer to arrive.
If you’re not getting the answers you need from the tracking details, then you have a few other options.
- Head over to the ‘Contact Us’ page, where you’ll see a ‘Select an issue’ option. If you think your order is late, then you want to select the ‘Where’s my stuff?’ option. Amazon should back to you with a reply.
- Contact Amazon customer service via email or live chat
- Pick up the phone and talk to Amazon customer service
The phone option is actually recommended by Amazon if you need support as quickly as possible. Although waiting times for the online chat service aren’t particularly long, and Amazon can sometimes respond to emails within the house, speaking to someone in person about your order may be more likely to give you the resolution you need. If your order is late, this might even give you the opportunity to see what Amazon can do to make it up to you. It’s worth a try, isn’t it?
Final tip – stay off social media
While you’re free to make a complaint to Amazon on Twitter or another social media site if you wish, this isn’t recommended. The company actually discourages this in order to stop customers from sharing personal order information in a public place.
It’s important to make sure you protect your privacy, so it might be best to contact them in another way to inform them of your problem. If you do attempt to contact Amazon on social media, then they’re likely to direct you to their dedicated customer service page to find another way to reach them – so social media probably won’t give you the resolution you want.