Who Do I Call About My Immigration Application?

If you have a question about your immigration application, you can contact UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) – a division of the Home Office (HO). In this guide, you can find out more about UK visas and contact details for UK Visas and Immigration.

What is UK Visas and Immigration?

UK Visas and Immigration is the government department that decides who has the right to visit or stay in the country. They are focused on protecting national security and looking after those who come into the country legally. You can call them from inside or outside the UK.
UK Visas and Immigration is part of the Home Office.

What is the Home Office?

The Home Office is a ministerial department of the UK government. This department is in charge of immigration, security, law and order – including the police, fire and rescue services, as well as visas and immigration, and the Security Service (MI5).


What is the application procedure for a UK visa?

You can apply for a UK visa online, if you’re visiting, studying or joining a family member or partner already in the UK. Before you apply, make sure you check which kind of visa you need to apply for: a visitor transit visa, an application for a work visa, a study visa, or another visa. You also need to check what documents are required.

If you’re applying online, you’ll need to do the following:

  • Complete the application form in English
  • Pay the visa fee online
  • Book an appointment at a visa application centre

You don’t have to complete the entire form in one sitting. You can simply save your progress and finish it a later date if you wish.

When you have applied and booked your appointment at a visa application centre, you’ll need to print out the checklist form (or the front page of your finished application form if you can’t see a checklist). You will need to sign this when you go to your appointment.

Once you’ve applied and booked your appointment, print out the document checklist form.

My visa application is delayed. Who should I call?

If your visa application is delayed, you can find out why by contacting the Home Office. Alternatively, you can contact your local MP. A lawyer or an immigration expert can do this on your behalf, but be aware the this will come with a significant cost, and there is no guarantee that your appeal will be successful. If that is the case then you will not be able to enter the UK, or if you are already here you may be deported.

How do I contact UK Visas and Immigration?

Call UK Visas and Immigration. Lines are open Monday to Thursday from 9 am to 4.45pm and Friday from 9 am to 4.30pm. Please keep in mind that the service can get very busy, so be patient as you could be waiting for a while.

What is the security process?

First, you’ll be asked for your Home Office reference number. This is also known as a ‘case ID’. This number will begin with the first letter of your surname, followed by a seven-digit number. This number will have been given to you with your first immigration application.

Then, you’ll need to confirm your identity. You need to do this in order to obtain any information regarding your application.

What is their complaints procedure?

If you wish to make a complaint about the UK Visa and Immigration’s service or professional conduct, you can do so by email or post. You can complain about incidents that have taken place within the last three months only – unless there are exceptional circumstances.

Make sure you provide as much information as you can. This includes your name and contact details, comprehensive details of the matter you’re complaining about (times, dates and locations) and the names (or identifying numbers) of any staff you’ve spoken to.

Your complaint will be investigated and they aim to reply within 20 working days.
You can find full details of how to make a complaint here.